Pukekohe was constituted a separate parish in 1866, and at that time extended from Drury to Mercer and out to the west coast.The first church was situated where the cemetery is now, a very small church built of timber slabs with a nikau roof.By 1879 the Catholic community required a larger church. The present site across the road was purchased at a nominal price and the church excluding fittings was built for the cost of £225. The building was of kauri timber and shingle roof.
The presbytery built in 1881 of timber was replaced by brick in 1914.In 1912 further additions were added costing £385.
Just after Easter of 1953 a much more extensive alteration commenced which cost £11,000. It was opened by Bishop Liston on 1st November 1953.In 1972 the structure that exists now was built costing $21,218.In 1980 the sanctuary floor was extended bringing the altar, lectern and priest chair closer to the congregation. Carpet was laid in 1974.
Some of the original families still have descendants in our parish today. Just to mention a few there are Grahams, Hogan, Markham, Rogers, Fahey and Brady.Parishioners travelled great distances in early days as the parish at one time in 1912 extended from Pollok to Ararimu and from Papakura to Mercer.
The church served for many people as a place of worship where parishioners were baptized, confirmed, received First Holy Communion, married and buried.School boys were taught Latin and served on the altar for Mass, weddings and funerals.There were years when we would have six rows of seats occupied by the Sisters of the Mission daily at Mass and Benediction on Sunday nights.The church would be packed every morning and night during the Missions held yearly.
During Father Molloy’s time saw the growth of parish sodalities, Children of Mary, Sacred Heart and Holy Name Society. St Vincent de Paul and Catholic Women’s League which are both still in existence.The choir sang from the choir loft at the rear of the church always at Easter, Christmas, Benediction and other occasions.
There are many memories from our church, memories we can all cherish. These memories will assist us all in saying good bye to our beloved church and let us all pray for and look forward to our new building.
For a fuller history read Labourers in the Field
Past Pukekohe Priests
|1880||Fr. James McDonald / Fr. S Chastognon|
|1880-1930||Fr. J Golden|
|1883||Fr. Patrick Costello / Fr. J Thomas|
|1875||Fr. M McManus|
|1897||Fr. J Ahern / Fr. D McMillan / Fr. L King|
|1912-1950||Fr. D McMillan|
|1912-1957||Fr. James Malloy|
|1957-1970||Monsignor M Kennedy|
|1958-1965||Fr. M Daly|
|1965-1966||Fr. S Palich|
|1966-1969||Fr. P R foy|
|1969-1974||Fr. P G Keane|
|1970-1980||Fr. W Sheeley (later Monsignor)|
|1976-1977||Fr. B P Smith|
|1977-1978||Fr. M Daly|
|1974-1975||Fr. W Fletcher|
|1975-1976||Fr. D Nolan|
|1978-1980||Fr. N Browne|
|1981||Fr B Fletcher|
|1983||Fr. D Bunbury|
|1986-1993||Fr. Brian Wilkinson|
|1993-1996||Fr. Jude McCarthy|
|1996-1997||Fr. P Dunn|
|1998-2003||Fr. Martin Bugler|
|2003-2013||Fr. Peter Gray|
|2006||Fr. James Mulligan|
|2007||Fr. F Poon|
|2008-2011||Fr. Ikenasio Vitaliano|
|2013-2014||Fr. Ralph Barcelo|
|2015-2015||Fr. Simone Ah Lo|
|2015-||Fr. Robert Steele|